What could be better than a flower workshop on a Sunday afternoon? Gathering with friends and a bunch of likeminded creative souls to turn stunning native blooms into gorgeous winter wreaths.
As the wreaths were carefully constructed I brewed up some chai and chatted with the guests as I served it, along with some delicious cupcakes, which I will pop the recipe for below.
With many of our blends featuring native australian ingredients it was an extra special treat to be surrounded by so many fresh native flowers.
It was a blissful afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed by all!
Special thanks to our amazing photographer Elise of Floragraphica.
Here is the recipe for the beautiful cupcakes, please let me know if you make them!
PUMPKIN-CHAI CUPCAKES (V,GF, SF)
melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin-chai cupcake made with sorghum and
tapioca flour, almond milk, plain pumpkin puree and canola oil - free of
gluten, dairy, soy and eggs - topped with plant-based chai spiced vanilla
frosting. Yep, there’s no eggs or dairy in this lovely cupcake!
Makes 9 cupcakes
1 cup sorghum flour
¹⁄³ cup tapioca starch
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup almond milk, heat to 40°C
2 teaspoons The Chai Room original masala blend
¼ cup canola or sunflower oil
½ cup plain pumpkin purée (bought or home made)
¾ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chai frosting ingredients:
115g vegan buttery spread
¾ cups icing sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon The Chai Room original Masala blend
2 tablespoons almond milk
2 tablespoons boiling water
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line muffin tins with 9-10 paper liners and spray with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sorghum flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and pepper. Set dry ingredients aside.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, heat almond milk in the microwave or put milk in a small pot to 40°C. Add the Chai Room tea blend and to bring boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix together the chai milk, oil, pumpkin puree, sugar, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have a thick cake batter.
- Fill the lined muffin tins 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean and the tops are golden-brown. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out cupcakes onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat the vegan butter until soft. Brew the tea in the two tablespoons of boiling water and let sit for ten minutes to steep. Then, add the almond milk. Add that mixture, plus the icing sugar and cinnamon to the butter and continue to beat for 10 minutes until very light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
Recipe adapted from: http://gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/pumpkin-chai-latte-cupcakes-with-nutmeg.html